Monday 8 October 2012

Fruit and nut bars

I had recently been to a mind body soul fair and sampled some raw food bars. Not so delicious sounding, but actually not bad. I had also been having a bit of a healthy diet kick and the bars I bought werent bad but were not exactly cheap. However, on looking at the ingredients I thought..hmm these dont look too tricky.

So I googled a few recipes and came up with something that looked like it might taste a bit similar to the ones I had recently purchased. They were being touted as brownies and whilst I wouldnt go that far they do give a good chocolate hit.  I made a few tweaks and this is what I came up with, Imust admit I am now a bit hooked!

150g walnuts
250g stoned dates
5tbsp cocoa powder
4 tbsp dessicated coconut
1-2 tbsp runny honey

1. Blitz nuts in a food processor (use a blender at your peril - see notes at end)

2. Add dates and blitz

3. Add cocoa powder and coconut and then honey.

4. Tip into a bowl and squidge together to ensure a fully mixed dough

5. Line a 7" square tin with greaseproof paper and then push the dough out to the corners attempting to achieve a relatively even surface.

6. Chill in the fridge for an hour then take out of tin and cut into bars.

Notes - The recipie was originally from the Food.com website 
1 - Blenders may handle the nuts but may not like the consistency of the dates. Mine didnt and told me so with the smell of burning electrics.
2 - Dont just put a square of greaseproof paper in the bottom of the tin. Make sure some of the paper is overlaping and sticking out at least one side so that you can pull your chilled mix out of the tin. Otherwise, you may be digging knives in the sides and under to free it, it will make a mess and you will have squish it back in the tin again.
3 - I have since googled some more recipes and these dont look bad and have some good suggestions for combinations at the bottom of the page.

No comments: